[Board] incubation update - osgeo labs renamed to community project

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:19:24 PDT 2016

An update from the incubation committee, following up on a key direction
from the board's face to face meeting the incubation committee is getting
set up to be easier to join for new projects.

This change helps untangle the "osgeo lab" overlap with geoforall, and
responds to our president's direction for the foundation to be more
inclusive. If you want a quick sound bite - the foundation is open to any
project that is: spatial, open source and inclusive.

I am personally stoked about the new logos, but for that you need to check
out the wiki page <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Projects>,
for those too busy to click that link here is a comparison with incubation:
ResponsibilityCommunityProject
Open Source

- check headers
- See LICENSE.md
X X
Participatory

- See CONTRIBUTING.md
X X
Open Community

- communication channel
- decision making process
Active Healthy Community

- user and developer collaboration
- long term viability
Development Process

- version control
- issue tracker
- leadership open to new members
- transparent decision making
Documentation

- user documentation
- developer documentation
Release Procedure

- release process
- documented testing process
Foundation Resources Technology Project
Representation
incubation chair
project officer
infrastructure and facilities X X
promotion & marketing X X
budget and fundraising X X

Here is Cameron's motion:

   - The old "OSGeo Labs" should be renamed to "OSGeo Community Projects"

Committee support:

   - Bruce Bannerman +1
   - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques +1
   - Landon Blake +1
   - Howard Butler
   - Arnulf Christl +1
   - Jody Garnett +1 second
   - Dimitris Kotzinos
   - Tom Kralidis +0
   - Julien-Samuel Lacroix
   - Mark Lucas
   - Steve Lime +0
   - Daniel Morissette +1
   - Markus Schneider
   - Cameron Shorter +1 initial motion
   - Jeroen Ticheler
   - Norman Vine
   - Frank Warmerdam

Community support:

   - Stephen Woodbridge

A big thanks to the incubation committee, and Landon who has been real
champion of OSGeo Labs and is a stellar example of kindness and hands on
volunteering.
--
Jody Garnett