[Board] My mention of GRASS Vs RASDAMAN

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Sat May 14 06:39:45 PDT 2016

Dear all
I'm writing this email because i want to clarify why I mentioned of GRASS
during last board meeting and what was the reason.

As a member of the GRASS PSC in the last decade I can assure that GRASS has
always been governed with the maximum of openess and inclusiveness, as
stated in the incubation principles.

My mention of GRASS with respect to the "benevolent dictatorship model"
(term that i really don't like) was to say that in my opinion the open
governance depend on the project management and not by a specific PSC rule.

GRASS did not had a PSC election after its establishment but this did not
prevent the access to new developers or make its governance
"dictatorial/oligarchy". Matters have always been discussed in developer's
list and decisions have always been taken with consensus. I do not
remember  single case where PSC override a decision.

>From my understanding the same happens in the RASDAMAN project with the
difference that in case of a not reached consensus instead of having a PSC
they have a single person with the responsability of deciding.

Best regards
Maxi