[Board] MoU between Science and Technology Park, India and OSGeo Foundation

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Wed Apr 12 18:22:30 PDT 2017

On 4/13/2017 1:49 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> It is not the editing, it is the discussion back and forth that is
> important - I am just proposing the changes above, what do you think?

As I mentioned in my earlier e-mail, the wordings of the STP-OSGeo MoU are
almost same as our MoU with LH Corp. (Korea) [1].

Comments about the suggested changes below;
> I have a copy of word, but playing duelling attachments on the email list
> is a recipe for confusion. Do you want to move to gogole doc, or windows
> live/drive/whatever it is called.

The draft MoU is available on Google drive at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ROmR6-GGXmpvIRk7MnGaHOYChFywaobGTHKcrVVdRH0/edit

See comments below;
>>> BEFORE:
>>>
>>> * Positive effort to activate utilization of Open Source Geospatial
>>> technologies in government, industry and academic in India, including STP.
>>>
>>> AFTER:
>>>
>>> * Positive effort to *actively use and contribute to open source
>>> geospatial
>>> technologies* in government, industry and academic in India, including
>>> STP.

Changed

>>> BEFORE:
>>>
>>> STP has been supporting and advancing Indian national spatial data
>>> infrastructure and developing and operating related geospatial systems,
>>> through various technical projects, business incubation and academic
>>> activities at local, regional, national and international levels.
>>>
>>> AFTER:
>>>
>>> (remove this as it is just information about STP and has nothing to do
>>> with
>>> the agreement between the two parties)

Rather than removing information about STP, I have added information
about OSGeo.
This is in consideration that the MoU will be viewed by people who are
neither aware
of STP or OSGeo.

>>> BEFORE:
>>>
>>> The purpose of this MoU is to establish collaborative relationship between
>>> STP and OSGeo.Both parties to this MoU share the goal of developing
>>> collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government
>>> organizations in Open Source Geospatial software and data in India.
>>>
>>> AFTER: removed data since we are not an open data organization, only
>>> software, You can collaborate with a community, not with software.
>>>
>>> The purpose of this MoU is to establish collaborative relationship between
>>> STP and OSGeo.  Both parties to this MoU share the goal of developing
>>> collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government
>>> organizations *with the* open source geospatial software *community* in
>>>
>>> India.

Changed. but I think keep "data" is OK since I consider OSGeo as a big
*supporter* of
Open Data and as Schuyler had said "our software will be useless without
data"

Best

Venka

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_LH_Corporation