[Board] discussion on osgeo projects, osgeo community and incubation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 09:24:02 PDT 2017

On 1 August 2017 at 09:07, Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
> wrote:

> On 8/2/2017 12:51 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> Venka they are visible as community projects on the website and our
>> promotion.
>>

> Jody Community projects and "projects in incubation" were different and
> are listed
> as such on our present website. The decision to put them together (as a
> part of
> re-branding) was neither informed to or approved by the board.
>
> All project in incubation can display on their project leaflet and website
> they
> they are striving to graduate as an OSGeo project and undergoing our
> software vetting process.

Joining incubation reflects on the project team and their wishes, their
commitment as a team to the OSGeo community.

The branding associated with OSGeo Project reflects the result.  The
branding associated with OSGeo community also reflects a result.

Venka is there any reason for projects that are in our incubation process
>> to be considered for more visibility then our community projects?
>>
> Jody I never talked about more visibility or less. I said that Project in
> Incubation
> must be shown as such with appropriate logo.

And I am asking you to consider why - what are you trying to communicate
with an Incubation logo and to whom?

aside: "Incubation" logo, "Project in Incubation" would be too long,

> Why? Because they are taking steps to graduate as OSGeo projects and
> because
> that is how it was before changes were made without information or
> approval from the board.

We can discuss the responsibilities of the incubation committee and of the
board if you like.

> Even the PSC of project under incubation were not informed about this.

Venka you are appealing to process - as such we can always do a better job
communicating it is true:
a) I have started this email thread here with the board
b) I have started an email thread on the incubation list to communicate
with project teams