[Board] discussion on osgeo projects, osgeo community and incubation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 14:17:29 PDT 2017

OSGeo Board,

Re: the level of advertising provided to projects in incubation.

I'm concerned that a board member has requested a concept about
incubation be taken to the Board email list, rather than Board members
with an opinion offering to join and help the incubation list.

I'm concerned for a number of reasons:

1. The OSGeo Incubation committee has had problems getting projects to
move through incubation, which is significantly sucking up volunteer
resources. This was/is a significant problem threatening the
effectiveness of incubation. After much debate on the incubation list,
it was resolved collectively and transparently that reducing the
advertising value of "being in incubation" would provide encouragement
for projects to keep moving through.

2. Board members are welcome to join OSGeo committees are contribute to
conversations. The time to comment on incubation issues is when it is
being debated at the committee level. Note, that opinions hold much
greater weight if they are backed up by the commitment to implement the
opinion. This is the principle of a Do-ocracy.

3. If the board wishes to enable their communities, they should trust
the communities and back the community decisions. Over-riding decisions
of a community at a higher level is a significant demotivator. It is a
dis-empowerment of communities and will long term lead to the
dis-engagement of communities.

4. The recent conversation thread on the board list has not offered a
solution as to how to solve the incubation committee problem of projects
not progressing to completion. Note, a suggestion along the lines of
"someone else should do ..." doesn't count as a solution.

--

With regards to the level of advertising we give to "OSGeo Projects in
Incubation", I agree with the Incubation committee's decision (as

We should be helping new users find quality incubated projects. You can
think of it as a quality star rating if you like. Advertising that a
project is "in incubation" implies a level of quality that has not yet
been earned.

Warm regards, Cameron

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254