[Board] discussion on osgeo projects, osgeo community and incubation

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 1 10:05:15 PDT 2017

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 11:51 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Venka they are visible as community projects on the website and our promotion.
>
> Venka is there any reason for projects that are in our incubation process to be considered for more visibility then our community projects?

Jody,

this is not about visibility - both categories are equaly visible, but they are different. The original intent was for the community projects to replace the confusing OSGeo labs - smaller projects that could potentially grow enough to become osgeo projects
but also projects which may never reach the osgeo projects status or can become integrated into a larger projects - there are many options. As Venka said, entering the incubation is a major decision and a commitment of a project
so we need to make sure they are labeled as such. I believe that needs to be clear on the osgeo website that these are two different project categories. If things have changed I think that this is an issue at the core of OSGeo and needs to be properly recorded by vote from the board and the PSC of the projects in incubation need to be notified.

Helena

> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 1 August 2017 at 08:49, Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp <mailto:raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp>> wrote:
> On 8/2/2017 12:44 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>> Any change from previous categorization would require the approval
>>> of the board. I do not recall when such a change was decided and
>>> how it was approved.
>>>

>> The categorization has not changed, these projects are part of the
>> incubation process.
> Then let us  continue to use the "OSGeo Incubation logo" and provide
> visibility to our projects in incubation.

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
and Center for Geospatial Analytics