[Board] government cla progress

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:08:24 PDT 2017

one of the action items from paris was to work on the government cla (for
governments that are not in position to claim copyright as their work is
classified as public domain).

This is an interesting legal question for open source as copyright is a
tool we use to enforce our open source licenses (without copyright some of
our licenses are toothless).

The document government_contributor.docx
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9tc8gs477tfnpj/government_contributor.docx?dl=0>
in our dropbox folder. The document was produced in part by a government
department wishing to contribute to GeoTools.

   - It is the same apache contributor license we are used to with the
   words "if applicable" in front of paragraphs where they are unable to
   assert copyright.  The key advantage it gives us is an assurance that their
   employees (or contractors) are acting on behalf of the organization - and
   are donating the work to an open source project with the intention of it
   being distributed with an open source license.
   - The word "Organization" has replaced "Corporation"

If there are any questions it would be great to bring them up now, so we
can answer (with our limited knowledge) or take to legal. Michael Smith is
setting up for legal review.
--
Jody Garnett