[Board] board budget 2018

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Thu Dec 7 06:06:48 PST 2017

Dirk,

I agree with you, just a note about the low geoforall budget request -
although there was a number of proposals for additional funds geoforall
does not have the volunteer officers (treasurer) to manage the funds,
so that is why it is so low. The board may propose more funds but there don’t seem
to be an volunteer in the community to handle it and the processes in place
to use them in a way that everybody agrees on.

Helena

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 3:23 AM, Dirk Frigne <dirk.frigne at geosparc.com> wrote:
>
> Jody,
>
> I took a look to the draft budget page and I have some comments (just my
> 2c). I have all the trust in the board to make the right decisions, but
> you never know I can contribute a bit to some ideas to make OSGeo
> stronger....
>
> Marketing: congratulations with the initiative OSGeo took with the
> allocated budget last year. The result is great! I support the the draft
> proposal as marketing and promotion of open source software is one of
> our reasons to exist.
>
> GeoForAll: 2K, this looks a low budget for a part of OSGeo which is
> extremely important to work on open source toward future generations.
> I understand that there is maybe not a immediate plan, but it doesn't
> harm to set a budget and incentivize the leaders of GeoForAll to submit
> idea's to use the budget for an improved impact on their actions.
>
> UN Committee: 12K, This seems a bit a high for me. I remember the
> decision last year to support the travel cost because this was a
> starting initiative, but I think that the UN Committee should be able to
> sponsor OSGeo as a strategic vehicle in their actions, and not the
> opposite. I they are not convinced that OSGeo can bring an added value,
> then we should find out why not. I wonder how many they pay today for
> licenses. Based on that information, we should be able to propose a plan
> to save budget for the UNCommittee and Sponsor the OSGeo community.
> So my advice is her to lower the budget in stead of making it higher,
> and bring the message to the UN they should take ownership.
>
> OSGeo Incubation: 8K, If 7000 is already allocated, and only half of the
> projects did already react, I suggest to forsee a bit more spare budget
> than 1000$.
>
> As I said, just my2c,
> Thank you for volunteering,
>
> best regards,
> Dirk
>
> On 07-12-17 06:42, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> With no further guidance I have updated the draft budget page
>> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#OSGeo_Board>.
>>
>> I encourage board members to think about what they would like to
>> accomplish in 2018; or adding an entry for board initiatives (ie
>> financial planning to account for the board having some creative ideas
>> worth pursuing in 2018). Maria please do not hold back as a new board
>> member; your creativity is partly what we want to set the organization
>> up for :)
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 29 November 2017 at 15:56, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    If we work from last years budget do we anticipate any changes?
>>
>>    - Admin $5000 USD
>>    - Travel $10000 USD
>>
>>    Michael do you have a quick record on travel expenses approved, or
> [...]

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
hmitaso at ncsu.edu
http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html <http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html>