[Board] board budget 2018

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Thu Dec 7 00:23:05 PST 2017

Jody,

I took a look to the draft budget page and I have some comments (just my
2c). I have all the trust in the board to make the right decisions, but
you never know I can contribute a bit to some ideas to make OSGeo
stronger....

Marketing: congratulations with the initiative OSGeo took with the
allocated budget last year. The result is great! I support the the draft
proposal as marketing and promotion of open source software is one of
our reasons to exist.

GeoForAll: 2K, this looks a low budget for a part of OSGeo which is
extremely important to work on open source toward future generations.
I understand that there is maybe not a immediate plan, but it doesn't
harm to set a budget and incentivize the leaders of GeoForAll to submit
idea's to use the budget for an improved impact on their actions.

UN Committee: 12K, This seems a bit a high for me. I remember the
decision last year to support the travel cost because this was a
starting initiative, but I think that the UN Committee should be able to
sponsor OSGeo as a strategic vehicle in their actions, and not the
opposite. I they are not convinced that OSGeo can bring an added value,
then we should find out why not. I wonder how many they pay today for
licenses. Based on that information, we should be able to propose a plan
to save budget for the UNCommittee and Sponsor the OSGeo community.
So my advice is her to lower the budget in stead of making it higher,
and bring the message to the UN they should take ownership.

OSGeo Incubation: 8K, If 7000 is already allocated, and only half of the
projects did already react, I suggest to forsee a bit more spare budget
than 1000$.

As I said, just my2c,
Thank you for volunteering,

best regards,
Dirk

On 07-12-17 06:42, Jody Garnett wrote:
> With no further guidance I have updated the draft budget page
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#OSGeo_Board>.
>
> I encourage board members to think about what they would like to
> accomplish in 2018; or adding an entry for board initiatives (ie
> financial planning to account for the board having some creative ideas
> worth pursuing in 2018). Maria please do not hold back as a new board
> member; your creativity is partly what we want to set the organization
> up for :)
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 29 November 2017 at 15:56, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com
> <mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If we work from last years budget do we anticipate any changes?
>
>     - Admin $5000 USD
>     - Travel $10000 USD
>
>     Michael do you have a quick record on travel expenses approved, or
>     do I need to make a total from our meeting mins over the year?
>
>     My informal take (not based on checking last years spending);
>     increase travel to $15000 (to reflect regional distribution of
>     directors and FOSS4G being in Africa). Consider raising Admin to
>     $8000 to reflect increases call for legal direction, and possibility
>     of liability insurance for more OSGeo officers (committee chairs for
>     example).
>
>     --
>     --
>     Jody Garnett