[Board] About presentation at GWF-2017

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 17:31:50 PST 2017

That sounds fun:

A) whoever has the budget commitment ... this is about sustainability right
:)
B) like how financial support was assumed, call them on that ... From an
OSGeo perspective both academia and industry can collaborate on software,
as enabled by selection of open source licence and appropriate governance
structure (so think partnership rather than "lead" as in (a) above
C) what is conservative with respect to commercialization? Like they want
to keep it close and use patents to treat industry like a profit Center
(hard to argue against if that is institution policy) or they want low risk
of having a vendor (easy to argue against)
D) ...

What are your plans for FOSS4G Asia? Are you speaking, are your travel
plans covered, etc...
On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <
raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp> wrote:

> Dear Board,
>
> I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
> coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
> I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
> at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
> ENGAGEMENT MODEL"
>
> The main discussion points are as below;
>
> a) Academia – Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>
> Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
> major success stories that could be highlighted.
>
> I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
> will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017
>
> Best
>
> Venka

Jody Garnett