[Board] R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Maria Antonia Brovelli maria.brovelli at polimi.it
Mon Jan 16 09:51:14 PST 2017

Dear Venka
I have a EU project (gicases), where Dirk is also involved, about co-creation of knowledge between academy and enterprises. This is the website
http://www.gicases.eu/
We are using open source software for collaboration and the project is specifically on GIS, even if it could be extended in other domain.
In the past we had similar experiences of co-creative education.
Another example can be the UN OpenGIS project where Academia (GeoGorAll) and Companies (and Public Agencies as well) are collaborating all together.
I agree with Jody that the available budget matters and weigths both on academia and company side.
Then, in my opinion,  academia should deal more with new solutions and prototypes than to commercializing standard tools.
The problem is that very often academia is poor (there are few funds) and people have you do everything to let young PhDs or research assistents to be paid... But this is an old history that you know well.
Best!
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung