[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is the host of FOSS4G not a guest

Marc VLOEMANS marcvloemans1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 07:36:49 PDT 2017

Dear All,

With my 'Marketing-hat' on, I have followed this thread with interest and
growing apprehension. As is often the case with this type of
discussion-thread: everyone makes a serious point, but we are jointly still
far away from a solution. The good thing: more and more of us seem to care
how we are perceived....from a marketing committee
perspective....absolutely great!

With only a few weeks to FOSS4G-Europe in Paris and FOSS4G-2017 in Boston,
with FOSS4G-NL last week and FOSS4G-NA-2018 and FOSS4G-2018 in the making
(and other events I am mostly likely forgetting); 'FOSS4G' has become an
established OSGeo brand. Super!

As with brands of this kind, it is usual that the owner (OSGeo, right???)
provides branding-guidelines for all those using it. This to safeguard
mis-use and mis-perceptions. The FOSS4G-ribbon is already 'in the pocket',
but certainly not enough.
The present rebrand exercise is meant to professionalise our promotional
activities with a branding handbook. How the relationship OSGeo and FOSS4G
(international, regional, local) is communicated is definitely worth
addressing in the handbook.

I propose:
- a meeting in Boston on the issue between Board and Marketing Committee.
- anyone having a suggestion/advice/solution to mail it to marketing@
lists.osgeo.org, for collecting
- our present branding agency to provide guidance
- a proposal text to be voted upon by the Board
- integration of this specific guideline into the handbook

Hopefully we can steer this discussion away from 'I want you to do this'
and 'why should I do that' and other 'I ...' to a fruitful discussion in
Boston. Personally, I would welcome these type of topics at such event, as
a non-coder-but-still-interested-in-open-spatial ;-)

With so many volunteers working on so many facets of our community right
now, I would hate to see energy flowing into the wrong direction. Please,
all involved, remain focused on Paris, Boston, the new website and the new
marketing collateral and other initiatives I am ignorant of.

Let's keep the momentum, the mojo, the vibe and focus on the future!
Cheers, Marc

Kind regards,

Marc Vloemans

Mobile +31(0)651 844262