[Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Tue Jul 25 05:13:43 PDT 2017

Dear European charter members and OSGeo board,
I would like to express my support for an OSGeo continental chapter and
provide my point of view, that even if often considered uncomfortable, hope
will bring discussion to improve.

I hope that before starting the chapter:

* there is a clear and equitable rule for using the OSGeo name in European
bids (see h2020 for example) since this may be a competitive advantage.
It is totally unclear to me how OSGeo-EU would relate to H2020 projects for
example:
- Will it participate as a partner in any calls?
- How the selection of supported project will be done?
- How, in case of funding, allocated money will be distributed to members?

* there is a defined and focused coordination with local chapters
- synergies are needed to avoid duplication of efforts and adoption of a
common action line.
- ideally I'd like to see a hierarchical structure from international to
continental and national level "chapters" but this is a matter for the
board..

Here some proposed actions,
that in my opinion would demonstrate the open principle of the OSGeo
European Chapter  community:

* run a democratic election of the board representatives within 6 months
from the inception

* include all the OSGeo charter member that express their willing as "full"
member (was charter member in OSGeo not sure how "full member" is in
OSGeo-EU)

Regards,
Maxi