[Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Mon Jul 24 05:56:22 PDT 2017

Maria

"is a member of a local chapter also a charter
> member of Eu Chapter? Or we will have a complex structure where local
> chapter members can be not Eu charter members but charter members of
> OSGeo as a whole?"

No, as Jody and Lucca already mentioned, this is an organisation of
volunteers. Everybody who wants to volunteer can become a member, but
volunteers can also be 'only' OSGeo members.

The "official" OSGeo-Europe members are responsible to guard the correct
working of the organisation, as a legal structure. 22 volunteers
expressed there interest to become a founding member and have signed the
bylaws that we discussed last year as a google drive document, and
during the BOF of July 19 2017.

As a community we appreciate the help of everybody who wants to promote
Geo free and open source software. Everybody who want's to support the
local chapter can add his name on the wiki [1]. As of today there are
already 27 names on the list. The bylaws have a mechanism to add these
members as "full members" during the next general assembly (a similar
process as for OSGeo.org).

But as Lucca already mentioned: it is more important to be a member of
OSGeo.org, although I hope we can make OSGeo.org stronger trough the
initiative we are setting up.

Once we've got our formal acceptance by the OSGeo Board, we will publish
the bylaws in the Belgian Official Journal and create the legal
structure. We will start to setup the agenda of the typical European
points we want to work on this first year asap after acceptance.

Dirk

PS. I added the European list as I think this discussion also concerns
the European list.

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe

--
Yours sincerely,