[Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 06:32:22 PDT 2017

On 23 July 2017 at 12:54, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> All local chapters have the same relationship with OSGeo.
>
> A key reason to found a local chapter is to interact and advocate for open
> source on a regional city, state or national or union level - something the
> global osgeo organization is not in the best position to do.
>
> I do not think it is useful (or any of our business) to ask about members
> being automatically in a group. We are a volunteer organization and members
> volunteer where their hearts lie.

I fully agree with Jody, OSGeo EU will be a local chapter with its
freedom as all the others, only the people who want be part of it
should be part of it (for example I'm in Italian local chapter but
right now I choose to not be part of OSGeo EU)

As I already told during this days I don't fully believe on it right
now (maybe in the future will be different) and I'm a little bit
worried about the energy that it will take from other
activities/chapter.

However with more than 20 founders, most of them really well known in
the OSGeo family, I think that OSGeo EU should be accepted as new
chapter.

my2cents

--
ciao