[Board] Stolen computer

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jul 26 07:21:12 PDT 2017

Thank you Luca for bringing this to everyone's attention.  Indeed this
was a very unfortunate incident.  I am a strong +1 to help Niroshan and
Nick in any costs not covered by insurance.

The day before this happened I also left my bag for a few hours behind
the registration desk; this could have happened to anyone.

This kind of thing has been at the back of my mind for a while now; how
lucky we have been for accidents at FOSS4G events.  We travel to areas
all around the world, and anything can happen.  Luckily Niroshan or Nick
were not hurt or injured.

It might be a good time to review the event insurance for our FOSS4G
events, and how it relates to unfortunate accidents like this.  (and how
we would handle the cases if the attendee had no personal insurance,
which would have been my case - for example, maybe the OSGeo Board
should set aside a small block of funding in each yearly budget for this)

But my gut feeling is that was a small warning, as our FOSS4G event
grows in popularity, we must take care, to take care of our attendees.

I am very sorry for such a hassle to Niroshan and Nick, to their studies
and their work.  I hope we can agree to make sure that they have to pay
nothing out of their own pockets to replace lost equipment; and also
agree to take this as a small lesson and review our own event policies.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation