[Board] awards discussion

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 30 05:37:20 PDT 2017

Jody,

 I see - I thought you were talking about establishing new awards while you
probably had in mind existing awards. Currently the FOSS4G2017 program in
relation to AGM and awards is rather confusing for me and it is different
from what we have here
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2017

the program lists awards as part of AGM while our wiki shows awards as part
of closing ceremony.

In my opinion at least the Sol Katz award should be at the closing ceremony
where everybody is present and there are no other parallel sessions - this
should be indicated in the program grid.

Other awards that we had in the past are:

   - Developer Award funded and delivered by GeoCat representative - do we
   have a confirmation from GeoCat that this will happen this year? Do they
   want it as part of closing ceremony or would they be OK with AGM?: (have a
   slide to cover finding awardee on screen)
   - Student Awards - GeoForAll: (have a slide to cover finding awardee on
   screen) - as I understand it this should be for the best student
   presentation/paper and best student poster - two total. This could be done
   at AGM. Do we have volunteers in the academic committee to evaluate the
   papers and posters, select the awardee and prepare the award itself?

Also, given that AGM is now scheduled as one of parallel sessions we
definitely don't need a room with 350 seats - I doubt that there will be
more than 100 people present, some speakers for the committees and projects
may actually have a conflict with their presentations but we can deal with
that (I will send a separate email about the AGM)

Helena

email: hmitaso at ncsu.edu
ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax 919 515-7802