[Board] [FOSS4G 2016] Reminder - Publication of papers of the FOSS4G 2016 Academic Track

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 11:13:01 PDT 2017

This is a tough one Barend, thanks for gathering all the facts as they are
now split across several years.

I totally respect you not being able to do this activity for free, and we
are starting to explore backing contributors with contracted assistance (as
seen on on SAC and the website/rebranding). That said the board is always
concerned about setting a precedent, or an expectation, that this kind of
work will be backed by funding (and thus evaporate any contributors who are
in position to step forward). For other activities (for example code
sprints, website/rebranding) that require funding we usually try and split
the cost with the group or committee responsible, even if that requires
fundraising.

I do not personally know much about publishing academic papers (which is
why we have a range of backgrounds on the board with different experience
to draw on). What concerns me here is meeting the commitments our OSGeo
community has made, we in effect made an agreement with FOSS4G academic
track participants to see their work published and did not at the time
secure enough resources (contributor or financial) to see this completed.

Reading your summary of events it looks like we have had a gap in who is in
position to act.  I trust this has now settled down to OSGeo as the ongoing
organization is able to do so, since the LOC has winded up activity.

Can I assume that copy-editing, LaTeX and PDF production is always going to
be a fixed cost for these activities, one we could budget for in the
future.
--
Jody Garnett