[Board] Food for thought: Retirement of OSGeo membership -> Statement of appreciation ?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 12:36:02 PST 2018

I'd suggest keep the process simple. The convention we've implemented in
OSGeoLive (which we copied from other OSGeo projects and groups), is to
acknowledge and/or thank past members:

Eg:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/OSGeoLive%20PSC

http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/roles/committee.html

On 7/12/18 9:33 pm, "Peter Löwe" wrote:
> Hi Maria, all,
> according to our websit three persons have already retired before
> Sara. That's why I am raising the topic, as over the coming
> years/decades/centuries the number of retirees will continue to grow.
> I will provide a proposal in the near future (early 2019?).
> best,
> Peter
> <peter.loewe at gmx.de>
> *Gesendet:* Freitag, 07. Dezember 2018 um 11:10 Uhr
> *Von:* "María Arias de Reyna" <delawen at gmail.com>
> *An:* "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de>
> *Cc:* "osgeo-board List" <board at lists.osgeo.org>, Sara
> <sara at sarasafavi.com>
> *Betreff:* Re: [Board] Food for thought: Retirement of OSGeo
> membership -> Statement of appreciation ?
> As far as I know, this is the first case and we don't have any such
> thing. It is a good idea, so any draft for this would be appreciated.
> Also we should discuss this inside the GDPR team, because we don't
> have right now any process to completely remove a person from osgeo.
> What is being done right now is just mark the person as retired.
> El vie., 7 dic. 2018 11:06, "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de
> <mailto:peter.loewe at gmx.de>> escribió:
>
>     Dear Board,
>
>     the recent retirement of Sara Safavi from OSGeo raises issues
>     about missing workflows which remain to be discussed and
>     implemented: Do we have a process / template to express our
>     gratitude to persons leaving our community ? Such folks have a
>     proven standing in the open geospatial community (they were voted
>     for to become Charter members to begin with) and did noticeable
>     volunteer work, each in their own way (-> reflected by the icons
>     of recognition in the OSGeo wiki/website
>     [coder/PSC/charter/committer/etc]). IMHO such commitment deserves
>     due recognition from our side and some kind of documentation might
>     prove usesul for the persons future career path (OSGeo letter of
>     appreciation / certificate ?).
>
>     best,
>     Peter
>
>     <peter.loewe at gmx.de <mailto:peter.loewe at gmx.de>>