[Board] Renew mandate to act as admin for GSoC 2018 edition

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 13:09:28 PST 2018

Thank you Jody, apologies again for the tone, reading again my first email,
it didn't come out as was thought.
For what concerns the freedom to dispose of the gsoc budget, this is too
much for our team. As you know,  this is the first year we make a budget
request, and we did it only because the idea is very easy to handle: giving
small travel grants to gsoc students that request them to present their
gsoc project in international conferences. As you also know, the budget
that comes in from gsoc is larger, but we purposedly have no intention to
handle it directly. This is because there is no agreement among mentors on
which should be the use of these money. Each year mentors volunteer their
time as we admins do, so we don't think it's appropriate to exclude them
from the decision. On the other hand, when consulted, they didn't reach
agreement. So we decided (or abstained from deciding) that those money
remain to OSGeo and projects keep requesting the money they need directly
from the OSGeo budget. This simplifies things a lot. Perhaps in the future
mentors will reach agreement and things will change again, but for us
admins it is very convenient that the budget is administered by OSGeo.

Thanks,