[Board] AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 01:01:13 PDT 2017

Jody,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

> Initiatives:
>
>    - Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
>    - OSGeo-Live
>

>    - OSGeo European
>
> *[...]*
>
> Committees:
>
>    - United Nations Committee
>    - GeoForAll
>    - Conference Committee
>    - OpenGeoScience Committee
>    - Marketing Committee
>    - Incubation Committee
>    - GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?

GSoC is surely no committee: the "members" are not stable, volunteer
mentors change from one year to another, there is no  "less active" members
as sometimes happens in committees; there is no much voting, admins are
responsible for administrative stuff, mentors are responsible for their own
mentoring activity; etc. I think the definition of initiative suits better.
I'm not sure about the actual definition in use in OSGeo, but if OSGeo-Live
is an initiative, I see similarities with GSoC: cross-project initiative,
aiming at outreach and growing projects.

Thank you

--
Margherita Di Leo