[Board] AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:01:21 PDT 2017

Agreed, that is where it was listed in the slides. On the website GSOC it
is under initiatives :)

I love seeing a balance, initiatives provided a great oppeetunity for
members who cannot commit to an ongoing committee.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:01 AM Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jody,
>
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>

>> Initiatives:
>>
>>    - Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
>>    - OSGeo-Live
>>

>>    - OSGeo European
>>
>> *[...]*
>>

>> Committees:
>>
>>    - United Nations Committee
>>    - GeoForAll
>>    - Conference Committee
>>    - OpenGeoScience Committee
>>    - Marketing Committee
>>    - Incubation Committee
>>    - GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?
>>

> GSoC is surely no committee: the "members" are not stable, volunteer
> mentors change from one year to another, there is no  "less active" members
> as sometimes happens in committees; there is no much voting, admins are
> responsible for administrative stuff, mentors are responsible for their own
> mentoring activity; etc. I think the definition of initiative suits better.
> I'm not sure about the actual definition in use in OSGeo, but if OSGeo-Live
> is an initiative, I see similarities with GSoC: cross-project initiative,
> aiming at outreach and growing projects.
>
> Thank you
>

> --
> Margherita Di Leo

Jody Garnett