[Board] GCI 2017: A big thank you for the hard work!

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 17:13:51 PST 2018

Jody, a blog post would be a good forum for such a "press release".

I can help with reviewing the post, if someone who has been involved in
GSOC can write a first draft. The post can be relatively short, maybe
just a couple of paragraphs.

What I think should be covered:

* Google has donated $$$ to OSGeo

* OSGeo is very appreciative for this donation.

** (Optional) What are we going to do with this money. It makes is very
tangible if we can state specifically what the funding us to be used
for. Otherwise, we can say something less impactful, such as "It helps
is cover the core expenses of keeping our foundation running"

* Some mentors have passed on their contribution to OSGeo too

* (Optional) Google has committed $$$ to Open Source as part of GSoC

* (Optional) The split of Google's OSGeo funding went xx%,  to OSGeo xx%
to Developers, xx% to ...

* This sponsorship is  WIN/WIN/WIN situation:

** Helps the sustainability of Open Source - something that companies
such as Google depend upon.

** Helps attracts students to become Open Source developers

** Raises the profile of Open Source, which in turn benefits all
software communities

** Helps fund critical tasks that Open Source projects often have
challenges getting funded

** ...