[Board] sponsorship update

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 10:16:53 PST 2018

Asking our community what activities are available for sponsorship has been
... mediocre at best.

We have our first sponsorship renewals starting in February - and several
key activities are late to the party:

- FOSS4G - while esri, google and world bank are listed there is no
invitation to sponsor or transparency on sponsorship opportunity and
benefits
- UN Committee capacity building exercises
- Conference Committee Travel Grant Program

In each case I am looking for a link describing indicating that sponsorship
is desired, what sponsorship will be used for, and that sponsorship will be
acknowledged. For a gold standard please see
http://zoo-project.org/new/Get%20involved/Sponsorship that covers
sponsorship "goals", "uses" and "benefits", along with sponsorship plans.

Sponsorship is a great opportunity to share event costs/risk, provide
operational cost to our projects, and support our academic and open data
initiatives .. but to make it work your participation is needed.

--
Jody Garnett