[Board] Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Venka venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 07:30:19 PDT 2018

FOSS4G-Dar-e-Salam won the bid by stating that they have
firm commitment from World Bank for supporting the
conference with 100K of funds [1]. That was one of the
reason for the other bid from Asia to drop out after
the first round [2].

So, why does FOSS4G-Dar-e-Salam request for sponsorship
from OSGeo foundation if they have already secured 100K (that
they highlighted during the the bid?

And, why must the OSGeo Foundation be sponsoring the conference
that they have created?

And, why do workshop presenters have to pay for training people
(whom they are attracting) at FOSS4G event?

Something beyond my understanding.

Venka

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2018_Q%26A_Dar_es_Salaam
[2]