[Board] Diversity/Inclusiveness

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 23:51:12 PST 2018

Hi,

On yesterday's board meeting we talked (briefly) about the problem with
diversity and inclusiveness in OSGeo and FOSS4G. We intend to talk more
about this in Bonn:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2018-03-01#Inclusiveness_guidelines_for_conferences

The proposal that has been made for this  (thanks Jeff and others*) is:

 * Create a working group for diversity inside OSGeo
 * Create guidelilnes for conferences
 * Review CoC

Although I already expressed my fear of creating this working group before
next FOSS4G, as members of that group will be sensitively targeted just by
being part of it.

I am still following OSM advancements on this and maybe we can take part of
their work for us:

Some of the GeoChicas (the spanish women group in OSM) already expressed
their desire to work with us and help.

I know that the part of reviewing the CoC may be sensitive too, but most of
the CoC written in the past decade are very open to ambiguities and do a
lot of cargo culting and focuses on effects, not on causes. I want to make
sure our CoC does not follow that and is really useful. If you compare it
with the CoC OSM is writing, you can see there are many differences. At
this point I am not sure what parts should be rewritten, that's why I want
a working group on that.

Cheers,
María.

* not sure to what extent they want their names here