[Board] Travis-CI & OSGeo

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 02:40:52 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 11:58:50AM -0400, michael terner wrote:
>
>> Indeed, there is no such thing as open source
>> purity (well, maybe Stallman approaches that?), as significant parts of the
>> software development ecosystem ranging from hardware to internet access are
>> paid for commercially.
>
> Please do not confuse freedom of the software with commercial nature
> of services. There are free software based services which are sold
> commercially, and I think OSGeo should have no problem at all entering
> that kind of commerce.
>
> Producing great open source software is one goal, but I believe what
> makes open source software GREAT is its community, and considering
> yourself as part of a bigger community (the free software community)
> adds to that value. This means helping each other to horizontally
> improve the availability of free software. So helping a non-free
> software spread is IMHO contrary to the goal of enhancing greatness
> of our open source software. Compare that to help improving Jenkins
> or Drone or GitLab-CE...
>
> --strk;

Sidenote: Travis is, in fact, open source. An obscure open source
difficult to use, but open source in the end:
https://github.com/travis-ci

I believed all this time it was privative. Probably because it won't
qualify for our open source definition where anyone can really
download, build and use it easily...