[Board] Travis-CI & OSGeo

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed May 2 02:33:50 PDT 2018

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 11:58:50AM -0400, michael terner wrote:

> Indeed, there is no such thing as open source
> purity (well, maybe Stallman approaches that?), as significant parts of the
> software development ecosystem ranging from hardware to internet access are
> paid for commercially.

Please do not confuse freedom of the software with commercial nature
of services. There are free software based services which are sold
commercially, and I think OSGeo should have no problem at all entering
that kind of commerce.

Producing great open source software is one goal, but I believe what
makes open source software GREAT is its community, and considering
yourself as part of a bigger community (the free software community)
adds to that value. This means helping each other to horizontally
improve the availability of free software. So helping a non-free
software spread is IMHO contrary to the goal of enhancing greatness
of our open source software. Compare that to help improving Jenkins
or Drone or GitLab-CE...

--strk;