[Board] Motion to create a youtube account FOSS4G

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 05:03:47 PDT 2019

HI,

Youtube has many obvious SEO and positioning advantages, but I'm doubtful
of having all our videos on a privative platform like Google/Youtube,
specially if we have enough "iron" to host ourselves. (See for example [1],
we may have even more iron incoming). At least, I wouldn't have it as the
primary entrypoint and storage of videos with such educational and state of
the art value.

On a quick look I couldn't find any good explanation on the possible issues
with Youtube and the license/IP. I assume you already checked for FOSSGIS
and it is clear? I understand that "*you grant to YouTube a non-exclusive,
worldwide,* perpetual license to freely sub-license, re-distribute,
re-publish, monetize, and whatever they may want to do with your video"[2].
Would they be able to copy/paste and alter the video and then redistribute
it in a way that is bad for OSGeo? (I know they have done some copy/paste
to use for promotional videos, not sure if something else.)

They may monetize the videos. Are we ok with that? Are we going to ask all
our speakers to be ok with that?

(And the answer may be that we are ok with all this, I just wanted to raise
the issue.)

Cheers,
María

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/sac/2019-June/011163.html
[2] https://tubularinsights.com/youtube-copyright-ownership/ (using this
link because Youtube insists on showing me the Spanish version of the
license)