[Board] Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> new kind of "heritage project" ?

"Peter Löwe" peter.loewe at gmx.de
Thu Mar 28 06:46:55 PDT 2019

Hi board,

a few weeks back I noticed that the sources of MOSS ("oldest open source GIS") were taken offline by BLM.
Others have noticed this earlier as the fact is mentioned on the Sol Katz award wikipage (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Sol_Katz_Award).

In the meantime I contacted the library staff of BLM - they did not keep a digital copy of the MOSS sources.

If the source code of MOSS should be recovered, I would like to propose to make MOSS a OSGeo "heritage" project or something similar, and to preserve the sources in an OSGeo-controlled software repo. At the very least, we could make sure to deposit the code in the Zenodo archive.

In the meantime, I went ahead and created a wiki page with links to still existing MOSS-related documentation:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOSS

best,
Peter

PS: If anyone of y'all should have a local copy of the MOSS repo, please speak up :-)

<peter.loewe at gmx.de>