[Board] NSF National GeoTech Center Partnership with Geo for All

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri May 24 21:21:06 PDT 2019

If it helps some of our OSGeo projects use contributor license agreements
here:
https://www.osgeo.org/about/licenses/

We are looking for more then promotion, we want to ensure Jefferson
Community and Technical College has an open source policy allowing staff
and students to contribute.  Some universities look to patent ideas
developed through their research program - and do not allow participation
in open source (or are careful to only approve participation in projects
that use a license does not include a patent use clause).

Please forgive the hardline on this topic, I don’t like to see unequal
relationships established. You are of course welcome to use open source
software without having thought through these questions. But we would be
doing you a disservice if we did not ensure you are setup to take part. It
would be like inviting you in from the cold, and not serving you tea.

Jody Garnett