[Board] OSGeo / OGC MOU update

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 04:07:31 PST 2021

Hi all: as you are aware, we have been working on an update to the OSGeo / OGC Memorandum of Understanding for some time [1][2], led by an OSGeo review team in collaboration with Scott Simmons from OGC.

The MOU (specifically Exhibit A) [3] was reviewed and an update was proposed to reflect current requirements and opportunities.  A draft update to Exhibit A was put forth [4] and sent to the OSGeo Standards mailing list in August 2021 for review/discussion.

This is an important time for the updated MOU.  Open Source and Open Standards are natural, healthy and evolving, and this MOU will grow the collaboration between our organizations especially given OGC's increasing focus on developers.  Note that the MOU provides OSGeo an Associate Membership as well as the opportunity for input into the next generation of compliance testing (CITE).

I've added this as an agenda item to our next meeting [5] for review/discussion.

Thanks to the OSGeo review team, and special thanks to Bruce Bannerman for stepping up and leading the valuable engagement with the OSGeo Standards mailing list.

..Tom

[1] https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues/80
[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MoU_OGC/Review_2020
[3] https://www.osgeo.org/resources/ogc-memorandum-understanding/