[Board] opengis activity completed

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:24:01 PDT 2023

In the category of "this email could of been an agenda topic" I am closing
out this topic with an email rather than take up time in tomorrow's meeting.

The recent release of GeoTools 30.0 met the key goal of the "opengis
harmonization" activity.

Good:

   - The production of a refactor script went* far better than expected*:
      - to the point where all osgeo projects have transitioned
      successfully (priority).
      - Indeed all the active projects contacted have transitioned without
      incident
   - mapfish-print-v2 library (from orphaned osgeo project) was untangled
   over the course of this activity; with the result that GeoNode can now use
   GeoServer out-of-the-box. A benefit that will be be welcome by GeoNode
   community, and also GeoCat Live which will have an easier time managing
   projects.
   - With all osgeo projects transitioned there is no further call for
   funding this activity in Q4 as anticipated

Poor:

   - Our fund raising did not match the anticipated budget, resulting in
   some use of weekends and evenings for me personally in September. While I
   understand that being a steering committee member can involve cleaning up
   after the party is done, we should keep in mind that activity estimates
   were accurate  (rare in IT)

   - The geotools documentation
   <https://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/library/api/index.html>
   remains somewhat in shambles after the activity (with some diagrams and
   descriptions left in a a confusing state).

Communication:

   - The GeoTools 30.0 release
   <http://geotoolsnews.blogspot.com/2023/10/geotools-300-released.html> calls
   out the activity in a heading, with a nice graphic that can be used in AGM
   slides. It also takes some time to thank OSGeo an use the activity as
   illustrative of the role and value of OSGeo as a software foundation.
   - I have updated the opengis harmonization
   <https://www.osgeo.org/opengis-harmonization/> page to reflect the
   activity completing. Martin had some feedback online, rather than risk
   inconsistencies I have added a link to GeoAPI History
   <https://desruisseaux.github.io/history/GeoAPI.html>
   - The general "osgeo initiatives <https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/>"
   page has been updated to reflect the activity being completed; and the page
   has been removed from the website navigation menu as it is no longer active.
   - Engaged in mild promotion
   <https://www.linkedin.com/posts/osgeo_geotools-300-released-activity-7119436066863910912-zjXS?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop>
of
   this activity as an example of the value of OSGeo on LinkedIn
   - Closed out the todo item:
   https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues/142 (Which was going to be
   the subject of board meeting item)

While I hope this email will cover the topic, I am available for tomorrow's
very busy board meeting if there are any questions.

--
Jody Garnett