[Board] TorchGeo enters incubation program with Brian Hamlin as mentor

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 13:20:55 PDT 2024

Dear Board,

I have a notice to share from the incubation committee:

Motion: "Begin the application for OSGeo Community Project TorchGeo to
> graduate to full OSGeo project status" (with Brian Hamlin as mentor)
>
> Response:
>
> Angelos Tzotsos +1
> Arnulf Christl +1
> Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques +1
> Brian M Hamlin +1 initial motion
> Daniel Morissette +1
> Dimitris Kotzinos +1
> Frank Warmerdam +1
> Jo Cook +1
> Jody Garnett +1
> Michael Smith +1
> Regina Obe +1
> Steve Lime +1
> Tom Kralidis +1
>
> Community feedback:
>
> Ian Turton:  more documentation, especially of the quickstart/beginners
> tutorial type

And also a conversation:

The incubation committee has a habit of communicating projects entering
incubation to the board as it used to be the "first contact" between the
foundation and a new project team. An indication that a new party wishes to
partner with OSGeo in some capacity.

With the advent of the community project initiative the application to
incubation is no longer a "first contact" case - indeed asking projects
first to be recognized as a community projects has already taken care of
the the "meet and greet" questions.

So I have added the topic to the board meeting - but I do not think the
incubation committee requires a response from the board. Please consider if
you would like these kind of topics to be shared in the future.

As for TorchGeo - congratulations and I trust we will hear from this
project again soon when they have fulfilled incubation requirements.
--
Jody Garnett