[California] What Can We Accomplish in 2008 & 2009?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Apr 2 15:35:54 EDT 2008

I figured it would be better to discuss the future of the proposed
California OSGeo Chapter in a separate thread.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to do as much as I had hoped with the Chapter
this year. I'm sure this is a reason why the idea of a Chapter didn't
build momentum as I had hoped. I'd like to make the following
suggestions for things we could accomplish in the rest of 2008 & 2009:

-     Present and man a booth at the 2008 California Geographic Society
Meeting in Chico this May. I will contact OSGeo marketing to see about
materials. Alex said he could possibly make arrangements for the booth
space. I told him that I could help watch the booth. Perhaps we could
round up some more volunteers for this? It is only a few weeks away.

-     I think we missed the window of opportunity for the 2008 CalGIS
Conference. Can we start to make arrangements for a booth next year?

-     Can we set up an outreach to assist sister organizations in
California with GIS and open source issues? Can we arrange OSGeo
ambassador's to the California Land Surveyors Association and the
California Chapters of URISA? What about BAAMA?

-     Should we have further discussions about how to divide the State
into sub-chapters? Could we do this by geographic region using County
boundaries?

-     Can we find a place for our first meeting? Do we have a college or
government agency that would be willing to host a small group?

I'm open to suggestions on all of these topics. I think our proposed
Chapter can begin to take shape it we set some simple goals and choose
one or two issues to champion.

Landon

Warning: