[California] [Fwd: Fwd: Register for URISA's 47th Annual Conference for GIS Professionals Today]

David Bianco me at davidbianco.net
Wed Aug 19 16:15:14 EDT 2009

I saw this on the calendar earlier this year and I would love to go to this
one (never been), but I'm having a hard enough time getting clearance to go
foss4g Sydney.    I haven't looked at the agenda, didn't know they had an
osgeo specific presentation.

Did some digging, and its a pre-conf workshop on Tuesday Sept. 29
(8:30-5:00). Specific details:
http://www.urisa.org/annual/preconworkshops

*==========================
*

*WK3
An Overview of Open Source GIS Software *
*Instructor: Sara Yurman, GISP, Spatial Focus Inc, Decatur, GA*

Free and open source software (FOSS) has been offering choices to computer
users for a number of years. Over the past few years the open source choices
in GIS have been broader and more capable than ever before. This workshop
will focus on GIS open source software. It will give an overview of current
developments from technical and management perspectives. Selected packages
and their applications in various projects will be demonstrated and
discussed.

Specific topics include:

   - Open Source GIS background and development
   - Overview of Open Source GIS spatial functionalities
   - Live demonstration
   - Interoperability: The Open Source GIS spectrum
   - Planning and implementation issues

 *Intended Audience: Anyone interested in free and open source geographic
information system software. The workshop will suit both managerial and
technical needs and it does not require any prerequisites.

*Does anyone know Sara Yurman?
http://www.spatialfocus.com/about_sfi.html#yurman

It's only $25 to visit the exhibit hall for a day, I'll see if I can pursue
that option.  There are some other preconf workshops that look really good
as well.

A bit bummed I couldn't get in on the "GIS Disneyland Tour", I used to work
there!

-David