[California] Spring Code/Doc Sprint

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:34:41 EST 2012

I was thinking about hosting a code or doc sprint for OpenJUMP in the
spring. My main motive was setting aside some time to code, which I
have done a lot of lately. My goal was to work with other OpenJUMP
users around the world through web communication and coding tools.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in organizing a chapter
event around the code sprint. It doesn't have to focus solely on
OpenJUMP. (I realize there aren't many of you that use OpenJUMP. We
Java coders are a rare breed.) We could also work on other projects
that are of interest to chapter members. I know Alex likes QGIS and
Brian tinkers with PostGIS.

I'm certainly willing to put together a simple list of OpenJUMP coding
tasks for the code sprint if people want to come to the event looking
for something to do. I'm also willing to teach a morning workshop on
Java coding and the OpenJUMP API. (If people aren't interested in
OpenJUMP I can talk about my GPX module in GeoTools or my add-on code
for JTS.) If we plan the sprint for sometime in May, I can provide
refreshments. We could even do a barbeque at lunch. I know people
don't like to come to Stockton, but I'm willing to host at my home.
I'm willing to move to another location if someone is gracious enough
to host the event.

The purpose of this e-mail is to stick my toe in the water and see how
many people might be interested.

If there is strong interest, I'm we would do a Friday of instruction
and a Saturday of coding.

Either way, I'll do something in the spring. I'm simply looking at it
as an opportunity to get together as a chapter.

Let me know what you guys think.

Landon