[cat-interop] welcome to this catalogue interoperability list

Paul van Genuchten paul.vangenuchten at geocat.net
Mon Sep 23 04:06:37 PDT 2013

Hi list, i guess this is the first email in this list, so welcome to you
all.
It was great meeting some of you last week in Nottingham.

Let me first quote a message from last june that started this thing:

"I guess most of you will be available in Nottingham this september. I
hope at some point we can meet (in a BOF session or similar) to discuss
beter interoperability between the open source metadata servers and
clients. Mostly targetting the use case, find a dataset -> view a
dataset. But any other issue suggested by one of you is appreciated.

Recently I noticed there is still quite some mis-matching in the
products out there due to different implementations. Clients as Geonode,
Qgis where not able to display an "add to map" button for some
geonetwork metadata. But even if the button is presented, still some
optimisations could be agreed upon. One of the goals would be to have a
seamless user experience (find->display) and prevent for example the
situation where in the CSW client a user should specify the type of
metadata catalogue (s)he wants to add data from.

For this session i hope following products can join, we'd be able to
agree on some minimal implementation "best practices", and we can put
out a document like http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/DCLite4G."

And I should refer to the BOF-announcement page at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2013_BirdsOfAFeather#Maps_and_Metadata_BOF

I didn't really take notes at the actual BOF session, maybe one of you did?
Some comments:
- We had people from geonetwork, pycsw, qgis, ckan, geonode at the table
(and openlayers, gxp, deegree not in the bof, but around to chat with)
- First agreed action was to set up this list (thanx Tom)
- By the end of coming month we want to have a best practive document
ready to suggest an interoperable Geo DC practice.
- In 3 months to come, implementers can implement this practice in their
software
- Next is to set up some interoperability experiments (put some
reference datasets on next OSGeo Live dvd)
- Status of CSW 3, some of us were able to get their hands on some
drafts and have started implementing, others were not aware yet, in CSW
3 some flaws from CSW 2 have been erased
- the Faceted search, Linked data agenda proposals were not discussed ->
left for this list

I hope we can have some good cooperation in this list and have some
interoperable usecases sson (at least within osgeo)

Paul van Genuchten