[COG] Welcome!

Chris Holmes cholmes at radiant.earth
Mon Jun 4 16:09:10 PDT 2018

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining this list to discuss cloud
optimized geotiffs (COGs). We've already got 68 people on the list. I don't
anticipate it will be a super active list, but I believe there's a few
things to discuss to evolve COGs a bit.

I think I know a number of people on the list, but it'd be great if people
could introduce themselves and share their interest in COG.

* I'm Chris (aka 'cholmes'), and I work 3 days a week at Planet, plus one
day at Radiant.Earth, and both give me time to help advance COG. At Planet
all our data is COG, and so we're interested in more tools that can consume
it, and hopefully save everyone money by using COG to stream our data and
not having to copy and store so much. Radiant has been supporting the COG
standard, building tools like cog-map <http://www.cogeo.org/map/> and
tiles.rdnt.io. Radiant is building a platform for NGO's / developing world,
and sees it resting on an infrastructure of COG's

*Using the list*

Feel free to post any questions, issues in working with COG's, best
practices in working with the spec, or ideas of how to make COG's more
useful. From the BoF at foss4g-na
<https://medium.com/radiant-earth-insights/cloud-optimized-geotiff-birds-of-a-feather-at-foss4g-na-def26572ae1b>
 there's a few topics to continue discussion on - feel free to kick those
off in their own thread, or I'll frame them in a bit.

*Next Steps*

I believe the next step is to create an area in github for us to work. I
believe a github 'organization
<https://blog.github.com/2010-06-29-introducing-organizations/>' will serve
us best, to be able to group a few different projects. We'll port the spec
on gdal's <https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/CloudOptimizedGeoTIFF> wiki to
its own repo (cog-spec?), and then I'll move the website repo
<https://github.com/cholmes/www.cogeo.org>, and I think it would make sense
to move the validator <https://github.com/rouault/cog_validator> in to, as
it's where the spec gets real. And perhaps do a repo on performance
testing, with tools and results. And perhaps we can welcome other related
tooling.

Does anyone have any great ideas for the organization name? cog and cogeo
are taken. The ideas I had were:

* cogeotiff
* co-geotiff
* cog-repo

Let me know if there are more ideas, and I'll send out a poll soon to
decide. And also ping me if you're up to help create + organize the repos.

best regards,

Chris