[Workshops] Templates for Workshop Submissions

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Tue Apr 1 12:30:59 EDT 2008

Dave Patton wrote:
> burnie nawn wrote:
>> Dave
>>
>> Thanks for the template. I will work on it this evening. What changes
>> would you like to incorporate?
>
> Some of the issues are captured here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_Lessons_Learned#Workshops_and_Labs
>
> In addition, I think it might be useful to have a section
> in the template where Instructors list where, if at all,
> they have delivered the same, or substantially the same,
> Workshop/Lab as outlined in their proposal. I think that
> info should include the venue (i.e. conference name, etc.),
> date, title, and any co-instructors.
> Particularly for FOSS4G conferences, as the years go by, we
> will build a set of evaluations that may help illuminate
> any discussions about either specific Workshops/Labs or
> about general topics/themes or types of content.

Something else that should be changed is the "Technical
Requirements" section of the template.

Ideally, decisions about the PCs to be used for the
Workshops/Labs would have been made before the Call
for Workshops, so that the specifics of what will
be available (hardware, OS, and software) would be
in the Call. The reality is that it is probably too
early for that information to be known with certainty.

The alternative would be to have the Instructors who
submit proposals be 'specific' about the needs for
their Workshop/Lab. That could include things such
as minimum hardware requirements[1], what OS is
required[2], and any software requirements[3].

[1]
For FOSS4G2007, the main hardware-related items
to be considered were memory, video card (e.g.
for "spinny globe" applications), and whether
there was a CDROM or DVD drive (as there was some
requirement to be able to use LiveDVD).

[2]
Instructors could select from a checklist, indicating
which environment their Workshop/Lab could use, and
that could include the option of them supplying a
virtual machine image to run in something like the
free VMplayer.

[3]
This page gives an idea of what was involved for 2007:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_PC_Software

--
Dave Patton

Degree Confluence Project: