[Workshops] Re: [Foss4g2008-private] FOSS4G 2008 workshop (and school GIS) PC specs - urgent reply required

graeme mcferren gmcferren at csir.co.za
Wed Aug 27 07:29:48 EDT 2008

Gavin

The machine specs sound good (can probably get away with less if
necessary, but no less than 1GB RAM).

Machines must be bootable from USB too

I would say that we worry about the post-conference setup of such
machines at a later point perhaps during the conference as there are
probably a plethora of useful suggestions and discussions. What is NB is
the software image for the conference labs and workshops.

There are lots of application/presentation specific pieces of software
necessary that I am working up a list for with the lab and workshop
presenters, but at a a general level could have on top of what you
suggested:

Java, with Tomcat, possibly Eclipse too

Postgres/ PostGIS

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express or 2008 Express (Free to download
and install)

VMWare Player

Firefox

> OSG4W
>
> OpenOffice

Google Earth or Nasa World Wind? OSSIM Planet?

Gcc/ other Compilers...

> Python

Graeme