[Workshops] RE: [Foss4g2008-private] FOSS4G 2008 workshop (and school GIS) PC specs - urgent reply required

burnie nawn jbnawn at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 27 07:28:12 EDT 2008

Gavin

This is great news. I agree in principle with the specs. My comments below in [ brackets].

Regards,Burnie Nawn  Tel. No. (011) 773 1682Cell No. 072 134 5352Fax No. 086 613 2741E-mail: jbnawn at hotmail.com

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:01:52 +0200From: GavinF at mintek.co.zaTo: foss4g2008-private at lists.osgeo.org; conference-workshops at lists.osgeo.org; kvanwyk at pgwc.gov.zaCC: Subject: [Foss4g2008-private] FOSS4G 2008 workshop (and school GIS) PC specs - urgent reply required

Hi all

I’m in discussions with a PC supplier (www.sahara.co.za) who might be able to give us a purchase price to compete with our hire costs. We need to wrap this up ASAP else we’ll be placing a hire order on Friday.

Primary Use: FOSS4G 2008 workshops and labs.
End use: OSGeo / GISSA donate the PCs to South African schools for GIS education as part of GISSA’s ‘Adopt-a-school’ program. In the Western Cape this would be in collaboration with Khanya.

Please urgently send me ‘minimum - nice-to-have‘ specs for the PCs if you don’t agree with mine:

Basics: Ethernet, USB, mouse, keyboard, DVD-ROM

RAM: 1GB - 2GB [1GB should do for school use]
Processor: 32 bit, Pentium dual core 3.5MHz - ? [sounds about right]
Video card: 256MB - ? [ 512MB would do better - depending what Sahara can offer us in price]
Screen size: 17” CRT - 19” LCD [ I would go for 19"LCD. Desk space is more and teh impact just better]

OS and Software to be imaged:
OS: Buy / hire XP licences (Professional?). If we hire them we could set them up with Ubuntu and a full GIS and education stack afterwards. But XP is necessary for the conference to handle the variety of Wndows and non-Windows apps being used.  [I agree on hiring these licences for teh conference and converting to OS after the conference. S will we have a post conference volunteer workshop where we will do this? ]
VMWare
OSG4W
OpenOffice
Google Earth
Gcc
Python
…

Anything else? [ Not what I can think of right now]

Gavin