[OSGeo-Conf] OSGeo/FOSS4G '07 Location

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 30 11:03:12 EDT 2006

Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> I would add that this Chair position need not be long term, but at least
>> someone to get us through the RFP and selection steps for the 2007
>> conference.
>>
>> Volunteers?
>
> And a great silence ensued.

Arnulf,

An almost deafening silence!

> Can you please specify to what state the "RFP idea" has already been
> developed? I do not want to jeopardize any activities already under way
> but is that a request for proposal to local groups who want to organize
> the conference? That could be done easily and will just need a seven
> minute intro slot during the welcome session of the FOSS4G and a
> reminder at the end. Applicants can come to the OSGeo booth for further
> information. Then they should write to this list advertising their
> premises, assets and motivation. Not a big deal, am I missing anything?

To the best of my knowledge, no work has been done on the RFP idea yet.
While I'm inclined that it should be a little more involved than you
suggest (we ought to provide parameters on # of attendies, what support
OSGeo will provide, etc), I don't think it needs to be too involved.

> I dimly remember that the pre-open conference cabal had suggested
> Refractions / Vancouver as venue of the FOSSGeo '07 conference back in
> '05. Applicants would be sorted out in the order of application and
> appropriateness, this can be done via this list.

My understanding is that Refractions is waiting for an RFP and they will
consider making a proposal.  I would say that we would give folks a
couple weeks to write proposals, and then try to select the best one on
a variety of criteria (local capabilities, appropriateness of location,
cost, etc).

But, as before, I still think we need someone to lead the effort at least
through the RFP stuff and selection.  I'd hoped we could announce at FOSS4G
where the next conference would be, but it seems we will at best be
issuing the request for proposals there.

Best regards,