[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G 2007

venka.osgeo venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 21:10:48 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> I think making good use of the FOSS4G brand would
>> not erode OSGeo's brand.
>
> Venka,
>
> I think having two "destinations", one osgeo.org, and one foss4g.org,
> erodes
> our branding influence.
>
> I'm willing to accept you see it differently.

I am not thinking of two "destinations". In
that sense there is no difference in how
you and me see things.

To explain further, we registered two domain
names www.grass-japan.org and www.foss4g.org in 2004.
Both of them are the same destination (virtual).

A different example,
we established the Japan-Vietnam Geoinformatics Consortium (JVGC)
in 2001. JVGC is well branded at least inside Vietnam.
JVGC organizers the "GeoInformatics for Spatial-Infrastructure
Development in Earth & Allied Sciences (GIS-IDEAS)" once in
two years in  Vietnam. GIS-IDEAS is also well branded
at least in Vietnam. JVGC members see GIS-IDEAS as their
own.

We have to workout some technical solution (virtual hosting)
to see that OSGeo brand and FOSS4G brand lead to the same
destination.

  or that OSGeo uses the FOSS4G brand for its
conference activity only. OSGeo brand encompassing
FOSS4G brand.

If you are worried that foss4g.org is not "owned"
by OSGeo, I think something can be worked out
as regards this.

Regards

Venka