[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G 2007

venka.osgeo venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 23:15:25 EDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> In a similar way, I feel the same way about the conference name, that
> any other name distracts from OSGeo.  We have a focus in VisCom on
> producing logos, branding, and other nitty gritty stuff to try to boast
> OSGeo.  Adding another 'product' name into the mix is going to make it
> that much harder.  I'd like to see OSGeo be the organisation AND the
> Conference name.  What will the website be?  osgeo.org is as simple as
> it gets.

FOSS4G2006 has a simple and nice logo. Conference and other
promotions can use "FOSS4G Conference (with logo displayed)
Organized by OSGeo (with OSGeo logo displayed. No mix up
because I think FOSS4G will be a great "product" event
organized, managed by promoted OSGeo.

     www.foss4g.org/2008 and so on.

> I also believe that the brand of FOSS4G is not as strong as OSGeo.  It
> has been used as a conference name, but I think the name is not what
> made the conference popular.

Maybe you are right. However OSGeo and FOSS4G should share a symbiotic
relationship strengthening each other.

> I also think it is unfair for the other conferences and groups that
> we've absorbed to be simply ignored and replaced by FOSS4G.  By calling
> it FOSS4G it is saying it is a continuation of a specific tradition, and
> in a way we are, but it is only part of the story.  For many people even
> within our communities, FOSS4G is a relatively new term.

Good traditions need to be preserved. FOSS4G2006 successfully brought
many communities under one umbrella. Many participants who did not
know about OSGeo gained a good insight about its activities.
For many others OSGeo is a relatively new term.

> We are starting something new and we are tapping into OSGeo resources to
> help make it a success. I think we owe it to OSGeo to keep this major
> outreach event as closely tied to the foundation as possible.

Sure we owe it to OSGeo and OSGeo owes it to many communities that
came together at FOSS4G2006.

Venka