[OSGeo-Conf] 2007 Conference Naming

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Sat Oct 28 05:05:26 EDT 2006

On Sat, October 28, 2006 05:32, venka.osgeo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Changed the topic in this mail.
>
> And now that I have said almost all I
> wanted, I agree that we move quickly
> for a vote. Was hoping to hear from
> our friends in Europe before we did
> that. But, think the vote will make
> it clear.

Europe is present and votes with a strong and thorough
+7 for FOSS4G (or anything that will keep the "F" momentum where we need it)

> Anyone can take a wild guess how I
> am going to vote.

+9 on FOSS4G is my guess for Venka's vote

Thats 16 out of 12 votes, so that should be approved all right.

The name (and brand) FOSSGIS has a strong recognition in Germany and it
actually helps to spread word about OSGeo. So it is the other way round
here really, FOSSGIS is not taking aways any recognition or branding of
OSGeo but acitively supports it. FOSSGIS is a lot bigger in Germany than
OSGeo is.

Maybe it would suit us (OSGeo) better to consider ourselves a little more
like newcomers and guests within the Free and Open Source scene. If not we
will appear like "taking over" and believe me, I will have a lot of
trouble around here if this perception really makes the round.

Best regards,
Arnulf.
(Director of OSGeo)

Arnulf Christl