[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G 2007

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 27 23:28:24 EDT 2006

On 27-Oct-06, at 7:57 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I would respect that the "conference naming" issue is more-or-less
> a classic bikeshed... everyone has an opinion and few people will
> be dissuaded from their opinion, no matter what the volume and
> cogency of argument arrayed before them.
>
> As such, it might best be moved expeditiously towards a vote...

I acknowledge this too, having given the gist of my opinion, and am
not opposed to moving to a vote.

However, it would be helpful for me to see some more arguments that
explain why FOSS4G is a better choice from OSGeo's perspective - how
will it help reach our broader goals better?

Some of the reasons I have heard are:

-It has an "F" in it, because it's important to have a reference to
"Free"
-It has a brand built up already from previous conferences
-Indicates more than just OSGeo project focus
-Avoids confusion between the Foundation and the conference name

What else?

Just to be clear, I am not being sarcastic, I'm sincerely wondering.
I feel I am missing some pieces that others may feel is obvious.

Thank you,
Tyler