[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G.ORG

venka.osgeo venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 00:50:11 EDT 2006

Paul,

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> On a practical note, I see that you have FOSS4G.ORG registered, Venka,
> for the conference from a couple years ago (phew).

The domain name was registered to make available the results
of a Japanese government sponsored project on Internationalization
and Japanese language localization of GRASS GIS and Mapserver.
This was a collaborative work with Orkney Inc and Osaka City
University and one of the final task was to set up a download
server for the Internationalized version of GRASS and
Mapserver.

The domain registration was not planned with an eye on a Open
Source conference three years ahead. Although it was our dream
that something like OSGeo would happen.

Please don't be mistaken that I am trying to force the use
of this domain name. I suggested FOSS4G because it is already
branded in some the Open Source communities.

> If (as my rough
> nose-counting seems to indicate) the "FOSS4G" name comes out on top,
> would you give that URL to the conference committee so it can be
> redirected to whatever the official url is decided to be?
>
> www.foss4g.org => Location: http://foss4g.osgeo.org/2007

Should be possible if and when necessary. I have to confirm
with others involved in the project. I think they will agree.
I also see some other suggestions about the naming which could
help OSGeo using two domain names which is also fine, I think.

The top page of www.foss4g.org is just a picture now. We could
probably put up links to Open Source conference on the top page.

> That way if people use the simple URL for the new name they won't
> confusingly get some older conference on the same topic but long gone.

Regards

Venka