[Conference_dev] Conference Governance / Indico

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Jan 2 15:57:01 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Paul - perhaps you could describe how you would like to see things handled?

- OSGEO, as the organization carrying the financial risk, will have the
main responsibility for making sure things don't get "out of hand", by
approving large expenditures and reviewing current budget and statements
from the organizer regularly.
- As the people doing the work, I assume the local conference committee
and myself as chair will make most of the remaining decisions.

- The details of which workshops get selected and which talks get chosen:
o Workshops should be strategically chosen to maximize interested
attendance, and have to be chosen early, before major marketing (because
workshops are a component of registration), so they should be chosen by
a "workshop group" which will also have the fun task of making sure they
are organized and technically provisioned.
o Talks will be chosen by the incoming attendees, using a ranking
system, thereby (a) letting us know which ones to take and (b) which
ones are really popular and need big rooms.

- "Systems". The conference organizer already has a registration system
they are comfortable with, I see no benefit in changing that for
philosophical reasons. I plan on handling the talks myself, since a few
hundred records of database material is not overwhelming.

P.