[OSGeo-Conf] Dates for Papers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 10 16:16:50 EST 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> One of the questions which has come up is the deadline date for
> accepting papers.
>
> - Our organizer suggests closing them rather early, so that the selected
> papers can be used as part of the registration marketing process.  This
> is the more "traditional" route.  For some conferences, it goes to
> extremes, with the closing being as much a 6-8 months before the
> conference itself.  Obviously, we aren't there yet.
>
> - Historically, the conference has left them open for a very long time,
> closing with just enough time to choose them and get them into a program
> before the event.
>
> Our early-bird registration closes on July 24, according to current
> plans, which is two months before the conference date.  How does June 7
> sound for closing papers? (2 weeks to select, 4 weeks after that to
> still register at the lower rate).

Paul,

In practice I find it very hard to discard good presentations/papers if
there is time to include them.  So I'm fine with a declared closing date
for papers of June 7th, but I'd hope when we get to it, the deadline
would be extended.

I do think that workshops need to be nailed down fairly early, and
that workshops are more likely to be a specific draw of attendies than
papers are.  Workshops are also such a big effort that folks shouldn't
be trying to pull them together at the last minute.

Best regards,